1) New York City civic engagement has too many work day commuters not enjoying their travel from BK, Westchester and NJ.
2) “The Future of Mass Transportation” Sustainable Transportation Systems, Inc. http://www.biketrans.com/
- A low-cost, low-tech transportation solution to meet the challenge of providing affordable effective mobility that offers an alternative to the environmental problems created by increasing levels of motor vehicle use as well as the discomfort of heavy and light rail, subway, bus traffic inconveniences.
- Cycling inside the Transglide 2000™ is 90% more efficient than normal cycling outside the enclosed airflow enhanced system.
- Cycling wear and tear on infrastructure is minuscule when compared to cost of upkeep and maintenance of trains, subways repairs, road work.
- Many existing bicycle commuters are unable or unwilling to presently commute in days or seasons of inclement weather.
3) Stakeholders include NYC workers from 2 states and many counties, city officials from NYC and participating municipalities, MTA, Port Authority, and other transit officials and employees, and possibly large NYC private employers.
4) Step 1: Propose to NYC Planning Commission a plan with Sustainable Transportation Systems to implement supplemental commuter system alongside existing infrastructure requiring use of land and modest funding.
Step 2: Prepare similar plans to NYC Community Boards in affected areas to receive and incorporate stakeholder feedback.
Step 3: Survey anticipated counties in BK, NJ, and Westchester to find best test case in terms of population and cooperative municipal partner. clm2191