Category is Energy. Most conventional power generation results in environmental damage (e.g., CO2 emissions), including conventional hydro power because it disrupts ecosystems.
- Ludic Energy in Portland, Oregon developed a hydroelectric turbine for installation in existing water lines
- Uses gravity flow in existing pipes — energy that is otherwise wasted — without disrupting or harming potable water supply
- No impact to ecosystem; no CO2 emissions or waste generation during operation
Gewin, V. 2015. Harnessing Hydropower from Urban Water Pipes: Gregg Semler Turns Tiny Turbines Into Mighty Generators. Popular Science. Posted May 19, 2015.
- Civic energy management leaders to champion initiative
- Existing utility companies for water and electricity to facilitate integration
- Contractors and/ or vendors to install and manage system
- Residential and/ or commercial customers to receive and use electricity
- Create partnership between technology owner, water utility, power utility, and lending institutions to share costs and revenues
- Identify existing water lines that need repair
- Install technology during repair cycle to help offset costs