Article Link: Electric Garbage Trucks
Technology: Wrightspeed Powertrains
1) Issue: Energy & Waste Management / Public Services
- Garbage trucks are one of the vehicles with the highest energy consumption, and therefore offer the greatest potential for improvement and significant benefits.
- Wrightspeed created an efficient replacement of powertrains for garbage trucks and delivery trucks.
- The Wrightspeed powertrain includes battery packs (lithium iron phosphate battery), a regenerative braking system, and a back-up gas turbine range extender generator that supplies energy to the battery pack to keep the direct propulsion system all-electric.
- Waste Management authority and delivery truck companies
- Truck drivers and garbage collectors
- The general public being serviced by the garbage and delivery trucks
4) Steps for deployment:
- After the initial trial phase that proves the powertrains are efficient, approach the waste management authority to swap out the old powertrains of garbage trucks for the Wrightspeed powertrains.
- Identify the delivery truck organizations that would like to adopt the new powertrains, as FedEx has already done.
- Scale up production of powertrains for garbage trucks and delivery trucks.