1) Sustainability problem: Underutilized properties/vacant lots in Newark, NJ.
Area of sustainability: Civic engagement
- Mobile technology, social media and smartphone apps can be used to improve the delivery of government services.
- People have very defined needs and government services are not efficient at providing for these needs.
- Complicated property processes regarding code enforcement and building permits makes it difficult for people to make informed decisions about the future of vacant properties.
- CivicInsight is a mobile application that provides up-to-date information on vacant properties so that communities can access easier ways to make improvements on vacant properties.
Article: It’s Time To Hack the City Hall from readwrite.com
3) Organizational stakeholders include: Department of Economic and Housing Development of Newark, NJ and CivicInsight.co, NGOs, businesses, property developers.
4) First 3 steps in deploying this technology in Newark
- Digitize all necessary information in the Department of Economic and Housing Development
- Provide press release on technology deployment to inform the public on the accessibility of information through this application
- Monitor customer feedback responses to fix bugs within the software and potentially expand usage of mobile application to other departments.