- The problem is air quality. Air quality is closely correlated to childhood asthma, and other respiratory health complications.
- Article title- This Billboard Sucks Pollution from the Sky and Returns Purified Air
Website name- Time.com
- The University of Engineering and Technology of Peru (UTEC) developed a billboard to scrub contaminated air in the City as Lima, Peru has the highest air pollution levels in all of South America according to the World Meteorological Association.
- The billboard sign uses the shifts in temperature, pressure and vacuum to combine incoming air with water to capture dust, metal vapors, germs and bacteria.
- The single sign at the intersection of Bajada Armendariz and Paseo de la Republica scrubs about 500,000 cubic meters of air a week eliminating 99% of airborne bacteria.
- The billboard requires he same amount of power as running a small emergency generator and can have impacts reaching up to 5 city blocks
- Citizens of the city, construction site workers, landscape managers, and local municipalities in areas experiencing severe air quality degradation because of smog and construction
- Steps for deploying the technology:
- Third party verification of the billboards capabilities
- Market the technology to strategic organizations in an effort to partner with construction and health care companies
- Lobby for regulations requiring new construction and industrial areas to only be allowed pollution scrubbing billboards within the immediate vicinity.