1) Sustainability problem: Health and Safety
2) Name of the technology: Peepoo bag
- Peepoo is a personal, single-use, self-sanitizing bag that works as a fully biodegradable toilet. It prevents feces from contaminating the immediate area as well as the surrounding ecosystem. After use, Peepoo turns human waste into valuable pathogen-fertilizer that can improve livelihoods and increase food security.
- Compact in size and weighing 10 grams, Peepoo is designed to provide maximum hygiene and convenience using minimum material. Peepoo is in the form of a slim biodegradable bag, with an inner layer that unfolds to form a wide funnel. It is easy to store, handle and use.
- With the capacity to safely transform human feces into pathogen-free fertilizer in a short period of time, Peepoo can contribute to enrich depleted soil and quickly improve food security. Because fertilizers are expensive and scarce in less-developed countries, economic systems may develop around the collection and distribution of used Peepoos. The fertilizer produced by used Peepoos can be utilized by households or schools, or sold profitably to local farmers.
- Peepoo is design to help population in urban slums and it has an inclusive business model for the base of the pyramid.
- Humanitarian Organizations (like UN)
- Local Farmers
4) First 3 steps:
- Identify where are the slums in the cities around the world that are most populated and lack access to basic sanitation.
- Partner with international organizations such as United Nations to help with logistics.
- Partner with local government
- Build a system to distribute and collect the product
- Educate population about the use of Peepoo
vn2216: Viviane Gandolfi