Sustainable Problem – Energy & Waste – Nearly 22,000 tonnes of household batteries end up in landfill sites every year.
Article– The Guardian; Biodegradable batteries and induction charging cars: five tech trends to watch
Link – Click here
- Researchers in Sweden and US developed a battery made of wood-based foam substance called aerogel, which allows this battery to be lightweight, elastic, high-capacity and ability to dissolve in water.
- The targeted market include wearable computing and in-car electronics, which would have a high disposal rate.
- Due to its high costs, this technology is at least 5-10 years away from the commercial market.
Organizational Stakeholders – Portable energy storage (battery) manufacturers (such as Energizer), disposable good manufacturers and developers, outdoor enthusiasts/tourists, and ecotourism companies.
Steps of deployment
- Determine stakeholders who are likely to invest in the research and application of this technology, such as Energizer.
- Among this list, determine best candidates for a public-private partnership that will fund and accelerate the technology
- Establish an agreement between the investor and researchers that addresses the responsibilities, deployment plan, and application.