As we discussed in class, about 1.3 billion people lack access to grid electricity, and up to 2 billion lack access to reliable electricity.
d.light was founded in 2006 to deliver safe, bright, clean lighting, through both personal LED solar lanterns and micro-grid solutions for homes and businesses. The features below focus on the personal, portable lanterns.
- The high-efficiency, integrated solar panels enables the d.light S2 and S20 LED lanterns to charge even on cloudy days, and the lanterns are 3x brighter than a kerosene lamp
- Low-cost: the individual d.light S2 Learning Light is currently $16 on Amazon.com; the d.light S20 Family Lantern is $17.24
- Both lanterns are portable & lightweight, with at least 4 hours of light when charged (S20 gives up to 8 hours on the lower light setting)
3) Organizational stakeholders: NGOs working in developing nations, homes that lack access to grid electricity, schools, hospitals, etc.
4) Steps to increase deployment:
- Reach out to additional NGOs working in developing nations
- Partner with US schools that would like to provide students in developing nations with solar lanterns to allow them to learn outside of school/daylight hours
- Focus on additional dealers in all nations, as additional sales of the lanterns in developed nations to environmentally-conscious consumers could help fund deployment in other countries