1) Issue: Infrastructure
2) Tech summary
- The city of Detroit’s power utility company, DTE Energy, has partnered with Tollgrade Communications to make its grid more reliable and resilient.
- Tollgrade’s LightHouse MV Smart Grid Sensors and Predictive Grid Analytics platform were installed at key substations throughout the distribution network.
- These sensors send back real time data to DTE that allow its operations team to predict outages and address line failures in a targeted way.
- DTE also believes that this technology will improve crew safety during storm outages by providing accurate information about which parts of the grid are powered-down and which are still live.
- Article: A Smarter Grid in the Motor City from Harvard’s Data-Smart Cities
3) Stakeholders: energy consumers, energy utilities, businesses
4) Steps for deployment
- Partner with tech company to procure grid sensors and predictive analytics platform, like Tollgrade’s product.
- Develop pilot program to install technology throughout the grid system.
- Collect and analyze data and scale the program.