Safety and Health: Vehicles and bikes have trouble sharing the road causing thousands of accidents each year. In many states vehicles are supposed to give bicyclist at least 3 feet of clearance when passing but that is rarely this case. Furthermore, it is difficult for police to enforce this law.
- Codaxus developed a device called BSMART that is mounted on a bikes handlebar and measures the distance between the bike and a passing car through ultrasonic waves.
- When a vehicle comes closer than 36 inches, BSMART beeps—altering the rider.
- The device creates a large digital display that includes a GoPro camera that detects and record the vehicle’s proximity to a bike.
- Currently used by Chattanooga police to enforce the “3 feet clearance law.”
- City Police Departments
- Biking Community
- Coordinate with the biking community to identify busy vehicle and biking routes
- City police department should develop a Bicycling 101 course for offenders
- Develop and implement community awareness campaign