1) Sustainability problem: Energy
- A large amount of Energy is needed to keep pace with the needs of a data driven society while considering the climate change impacts of energy generation.
- Data centers run 24/7/365 to keep up with the needs of e-commerce, online services and information access.
- Data Centers are energy intensive facilities.
- Building at the site of a former power plant allows for the re-allocation of existing energy distribution infrastructure.
- Local government/municipality
- Local power company (Tennessee Valley Authority)
- Former employees of coal power plant
- Build the Datacenter facility with state-of-the-art energy efficiency.
- Develop the power plant with the latest renewable technology.
- Keep both facilities capable of being improved with new technologies as available.