Category: Waste, Energy
1) Problem: Up to 40% of the food in the United States is wasted – roughly 20 pounds per person per month at a cost of $165 billion annually. Producing food uses 10% of our energy, 50% of US land and accounts for 80% of freshwater consumption.
- Insignia CO2 Detection Pallet Labels show freshness of food that has been packaged in pallets.
- Allows for faster, more accurate handling of food throughout the supply chain.
- Shows which pallets should be moved first by displaying the CO2 balance of each pallet.
- Allows identification and repackaging of defective pallets, which better protects food during the shipping process.
3) Organizational Stakeholders:
- SmartTech Labels company
- Food growers
- Local governments trying to reduce food waste
- Identify most wasteful growers/distributors/shippers/food sectors and target through existing data
- Engage them and demonstrate potential savings
- Identify partners and expand use