Problem: Water / Climate Change / Health
- The SmartFin – http://smartfin.org
- The SmartFin allows data to be gathered without having to consciously and physically collect the data.
- This allows the creation of a “citizen scientist” – thus allowing surfers and other familiar water users already exposed to the elements gather data using a ‘SmartFin.’
- The SmartFin is simply a fin that attaches to the bottom of a surfboard, like any other fin, but the SmartFin is able to read the elements of the water such as temperature, salinity, pH, location, and wave energy.
- This information can help scientists further understand the changes of our local and global water system. I believe this technology also has further capabilities that have not been reached yet.
- Recreational water users; scientists; NGOs; government agencies.
Steps for deployment:
- This technology is still being tested and explored.
- Create an app that is user-friendly and allows for a data-driven platform.
- Attempt to connect with stakeholders, such as surf conglomerates, in order to implement the technology for use by the citizen scientists.