Safety and Health: Each year several pedestrians are struck by vehicles while crossing the street. Left turns are especially dangerous to both pedestrians because they allow pedestrians and vehicles to use the same space at the same time. Last year, 17 pedestrians and three bicyclists were killed in New York by left-turning vehicles. NYC has the highest fatality rate for pedestrians struck by drivers making left turns.
- Google creating a “reduce left turns” routing option in Google Map
- Essentially adding an additional feature to an existing app
- NYC plans to partner with Google to make this route option a reality
- Drivers, Bicyclists, Pedestrians
- Create a partnership with Google to creating new routing option
- Identify areas possible route options based on traffic routes
- Develop and implement community awareness campaign