Public Administration & Services: Trying to figure-out if you’re allowed to park on a certain street in a city can feel like deciphering hieroglyphs.
Is it street cleaning day? What time it? What day of the week is it? Is there a special event occurring?
The City of Sydney, Australia hopes to fix this with “E-link.”
- The solar-powered signs inform motorists when there’s “no parking between 3-6 or warning of towing enforcement during special events”
- The signs communicate on a cellular network with a central authority to display messages
- The matte-gray screens are similar to those on e-readers
- Extremely energy efficient and helps cities save on temporary road sign placement
- City’s public works department
- City’s transportation department
- Visionect (Developer)
- Form a PPP between the city and Visionect
- Coordinate across city departments to determine best area for a pilot (an area that faces frequent road closures throughout the year)
- Implement pilot program and expand based on success