Technology: Plastic2Oil http://www.plastic2oil.com/site/home
1) Issue: Energy and waste management
Reuse and recycling of plastics is growing as the preferred methods of plastics recovery. However, it is not possible to recycle all plastics. There is a tremendous amount of plastic waste that ends up in landfill and in the oceans. In the U.S. only 8% of the generated plastic waste is recycled.
- Plastic2Oil is an American fuel company that transforms unsorted, unwashed plastic waste into clean, low sulfur fuel.
- The process is commercially viable and scalable, and provides immediate economic benefit for industry, communities and government organizations with waste plastic recycling challenges.
- The U.S. could support as many as 600 Plastic2Oil facilities, which would generate 38,900 jobs and $8.9 billion in economic output from operations.
- Plastic industry
- Local government
- Energy/fuel companies
- Consumers of plastics
- Waste management and recycling companies
- Local communities that can receive economic and environmental benefits
4) Steps for Deployment:
- Identify locations with high amounts of plastic waste.
- Scale up the processing of plastic waste to clean fuel throughout the US, and around the world. Developing countries will especially benefit, as their waste management systems are less developed and there is great need for alternative clean fuel.
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation system to track the positive benefits of converting plastic waste to clean fuel, including reduced emissions, reduced total waste in landfills and the ocean.