1) Issue: mobility, crowds, access to services
2) Tech summary
- Density has come out with very simple, small sensors that can be attached to doorways, walkways, and other architecture to provide insight to foot traffic volume and patterns.
- The technology is more basic than installing cameras or other technology with larger footprints. This may be appealing to smaller businesses/agencies that don’t have a budget for super-expensive tech.
- Citylab wrote an article suggesting really simple uses, like DMV lines, coffee shops, or even a whole shopping district if many businesses were using the sensors.
3) Stakeholders: business owners, city agencies with storefronts, city planners, advertisers
4) Steps for deployment
- Identify agencies/businesses with heavy, inconsistent foot traffic
- Install sensors and educate public encouraging use
- Set up data collection and analysis system to see how users change their plans by using the data and how this affects overall congestion at the sites