Public Administration & Services: Managing fare cards vending machines, turnstiles and the overall system costs cities millions each years. In addition, fare cards are a huge inconvenience to commuters and tourists.
2. Technology: Tap-and-Go Transit Fares
- No fare card needed
- Using a software system like Apple Pay, commuters can pay for fairs on trains and busses by tapping their phone
- “Touch and Go”
- Reduces: operating costs, ridership barriers, passenger congestion
- TriMet (Developer)
- RFP for software system
- Coordinate across city departments to determine best pilot stations
- Implement pilot program and expand based on success
One thought on “Why Tap-and-Go Transit Fares”
I like this idea because it additionally creates less production/waste in all the empty metrocards laying around the ground.