1. Sustainability problem: Water Managemen
- Water is becoming one of the planet’s most stressed resources.
- Access to clean water is a critical issue that affects economic activity, development and business around the world.
- Water utilities lose 10 – 60 percent of the water they pump to consumers.
2. The technology: Intelligent water efficiency analytics.
- With the objective of reducing water loss and the cost related to this problem, IBM developed the “IBM Intelligent Water Platform for Water Efficiency Management”.
- This is a flexible platform tat monitors a city’s entire water infrastructure in real time.
- With the platform, a public or private water utility can unite data for a holistic view of its entire water infrastructure.
- It enables insight and control over every face of water management — from pressure, to consumption, to maintenance — so you can predict pipe failures, manage water loss and reduce costs.
To learn more read the following article: http://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/lb/en/lbf03007usen/LBF03007USEN.PDF
3. Organizational stakeholders:
- IBM Smarter cities’ Team
- City Water Authority
4. Steps to deploy the technology
- Step1: Find a city with the interest of improving their water management system.
- Step 2: Identify the available data sources that can be used in the platform.
- Step 3: Incorporate new data to the platform and start a pilot in the city.