Article: 3 Ways 3D Printing Will Save the Environment
- 3D printing could be a feasible solution to reduce waste in manufacturing. This is a different type of manufacturing that adds materials to the product until completion, therefore creating less waste. Less waste means less garbage sent to landfills and less overall pollution.
- We could also expect a reduction in fossil fuel use as 3D printing becomes more standard and we become less reliant on traditional shipping methods. Products will be printed within your home instead of delivered by truck.
- 3D printing could allow for additional recycling opportunities. For example, a used plastic bottle or other materials could be turned into filament for this printer.
Consumers are the primary stakeholders that must utilize this technology in order to see an impact. Also, businesses within the manufacturing industry can take advantage of the cost savings from 3D printing.
The first three steps in deploying this product would be:
- Partner with manufacturers to implement 3D printing for its products.
- Identifying the most efficient ways of recycling using the 3D printer and how this can be done at home.
- Providing access to a low cost version of a 3D printer for home use that consumers can use on a daily basis.