Problem: Cargo ships have very high fuel costs and emissions.
Technology: Kite wind propulsion on large cargo vessels. A kite used for propulsion is able to harness the wind to use as a power source.
- One kilowatt hour of SkySails power costs just 6 cents, or only about half as much as one kilowatt hour from the main engine.
- In ideal conditions, about 10 tons of oil saved per day.
- SkySails: suppliers, engineers, etc.
- Shipping companies and owners looking to decrease fuel consumption.
- Ships operations crew.
- Conduct additional studies to back original findings (third party verfification).
- Develop long-term pricing mechanism to decrease the capital costs associated with the purchase of the kite.
- Partner with government/non-profit owned research vessels to help scale technology.