- Sustainability Problem
Waste: It is estimated that anywhere from 25 to 40 percent of the national solid waste stream is building-related waste and only 20 percent of construction waste or demolition debris (C&D) is actually recycled.
- Technology Summary
Philip Ross Molds Fast-Growing Fungi Into Mushroom Building Bricks That Are Stronger than Concrete. http://inhabitat.com/phillip-ross-molds-fast-growing-fungi-into-mushroom-building-bricks-that-are-stronger-than-concrete/
- Technology discovered and developed by mycologist Philip Ross
- Fungus mycelium (thin, root-like fibers) can be used “to form a super-strong, water-, mold- and fire-resistant building material.”
- Can be grown and formed into any shape; stronger (pound for pound) than concrete.
- 100% organic and compostable material, reducing/eliminating construction waste.
- Technology can be utilized as packaging material, building insulation, and construction material.
- Organizational Stakeholders
Potential Stakeholders include:
- Building Material Supply Companies/Manufacturers
- Property Owners/Product End-users
- City/Government agencies (sanitation departments)
- Landfills/Hazardous Waste Clean-up representatives
The next three stages in deploying this technology could be:
- Fine-tune and approve material for commercial uses (“in order to receive recognition from the building industry, the material needs to be comprehensively tested, and the effects of weather need to be better understood.”)
- Forge partnerships with institutions to demonstrate viability to the public.
- Provide incentives (or subsidies) to property owners/builders to integrate building material into construction practices.
http://www.aia.org/aiaucmp/groups/secure/documents/pdf/aiap072739.pdf Contruction Waste Percentage
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/a-40-foot-tower-made-of-fungus-and-corn-stalks/ MoMA’s contemporary art space displays fungus built tower
http://planetsave.com/2015/04/15/mushroom-based-building-materials-are-here-with-video/ Alternative uses for technology
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-house-that-spores-built Present status in developing technology