1. Sustainable Problem
Waste Management: Plastic Bottle Waste
Plastic bottle waste is a major concern because it estimated that more than 60 million plastic bottles end up in landfills or in the oceans a day. Only 1 out of 5 plastic bottles are recycled and with a majority of the world using them, there needs to be a solution.
2. Summary of Article
Article: New Shirt combines technology and sustainability
- The FC Barcelona team uses Nike’s AeroSwift technology.
- The uniforms are made out of plastic bottles, which are melted down into a fine yarn.
- Each uniform uses 16 plastic bottles.
- Since 2010 three billion plastic bottles have been diverted from landfills.
- Professional athletes that are partnered with Nike
- High School athletes
- Other athletic wear companies
- Clothing manufacturers
4. Deployment Strategy
- Partner with a waste collection company that provides the plastic bottles
- Find a manufacturer that will melt the plastic bottles into a thin yarn
- Partner with a professional team or athlete that will use it for their games
- Educate the public through ads and introduce to commercial stores