1. Sustainable Problem
Waste Management: Plastic Bottle Waste
Plastic bottle waste is a major concern because it estimated that more than 60 million plastic bottles end up in landfills or in the oceans a day. Only 1 out of 5 plastic bottles are recycled and with a majority of the world using them, there needs to be a solution.
2. Summary of Article
Article: New Shirt combines technology and sustainability
- The FC Barcelona team uses Nike’s AeroSwift technology.
- The uniforms are made out of plastic bottles, which are melted down into a fine yarn.
- Each uniform uses 16 plastic bottles.
- Since 2010 three billion plastic bottles have been diverted from landfills.
- Professional athletes that are partnered with Nike
- High School athletes
- Other athletic wear companies
- Clothing manufacturers
4. Deployment Strategy
- Partner with a waste collection company that provides the plastic bottles
- Find a manufacturer that will melt the plastic bottles into a thin yarn
- Partner with a professional team or athlete that will use it for their games
- Educate the public through ads and introduce to commercial stores
3 thoughts on “Athletic Wear made out of Plastic Bottles”
awesome post! I have read some more about how this works and apparently some companies have to use plastic bottles, then crushes them into flakes, which are converted into pellets and spun into the polyester yarn. This sounds like a way heftier operation, but a vital one to eliminate plastic waste.
**clear plastic bottles
This is a great idea and a very useful at that, especially since you are re using plastic bottles to make clothes instead of polluting the earth. I have also read about this re use of plastic bottles to make the graduation gowns for the Commencement at Columbia University. I really love this idea and it should be expanded.