- As the world’s population continues to shift from rural to urban areas even a mild interest in driving can create a traffic problem. In countries such as China, with over a billion people, this translates to hundreds of millions of cars clogging roadways.
- Emissions from all this traffic (in addition to the heavy manufacturing that goes on in China) has led to some of the worst pollution in the world.
Summary of Transit Explore Bus
- A Beijing company that is designing/testing track-based vehicles that are tall enough to let cars pass under, given they are under two meters tall.
- The bus is two traffic lanes wide and can travel up 60 km per hour and carry as many as 1,400 passengers.
- Has the same function as a subway, but costs only 16 percent of what a subway would cost and has a significantly shorter construction and manufacturing time.
- It is powered by electricity and could replace up to 40 conventional buses, potentially saving up 800 tons of fuel annually and preventing 2,480 tons of carbon emissions.
- Local Government
- Urban and City Planners
- General population
- Full-scale model is currently being built in Changzhou, China and will be tested by August.
- Based on how the test model goes several cities in China have expressed interest in this project.