An example of a solar pool heater.
- Save money and energy by using a solar pool heater instead of using a polluting fossil fuel such as natural gas or LPG to heat a conventional pool heater which is not environmentally responsible.
Technology that addresses the problem:
- The basic principle works like this. The pool water is pumped through a filter, then through a solar collector which is located in a sunny location. As it travels through the solar collector the water is heated before it is returned to the pool. Solar pumps can add 10-15 degrees to the pool water temperature. The system can also be use to cool the pool during heat spells if the water is circulated at night.
- Most systems include sensors and an automatic or manual valve to divert water when collectors get too hot.
- Glazed collector systems use copper tubing on an aluminum plate with an iron tempered glass which will heat pool even in cool weather.
- It is recommended to winterize in colder climates to prevent freezing.
- Solar Installers
- Plumbing and electrical contractors
First three steps in deploying this technology:
- Before installing, have a solar site analysis to determine proper location for a solar panel which will be used to provide the warm water to heat the pool.
- Propose to homeowners the amount of money that can be potentially saved over time after the initial investment. Payback time can be anywhere from 1.5 to 7 years.
- Be sure to estimate and compare costs of different solar models.
- Sunshine Solar Tech offers a 12 year warranty and no upfront costs.