1. Sustainability Problem: Access to Electricity
2.3 billion people across the world have unreliable or no access to electricity. 550 million mobile phone users live off-grid and often travel long distances and pay high fees for charging.
2. Technology solution: The BioLite HomeStove
The BioLite CampStove generates usable electricity for charging LED lights, mobile phones, and other personal devices. Burning only wood, the CampStove creates a smokeless campfire that can cook meals and boil water in minutes. Setup is easy, fuel is free, and flames are hyperefficient with performance on par with white gas stoves.
- The company
- Local governments / NGOs to foster usage of this product
- The Biolite CampStove can be bought online, but only in North America and Europe. Key places like Africa are still off the distribution network.
- According to their website, the company aims to create distribution networks comprised of local BioLite teams and trusted partners to reach households that traditional retail models don’t.
- Support from NGOs, retailers and local governments is key to allow distribution of the CampStove in areas with no connectivity and/or electricity.