It is estimated that 18 million acres of forest are permanently lost each year so the land can be used in other ways.
- Drones are now being used for many things other than military objectives that can be beneficial to all humans and the planet.
- In 2015, Cargill, one of the world’s largest agricultural companies started using drones to help monitor its commitment to zero deforestation in its palm oil supply chains in Indonesia.
- The drones help them map, identify, and monitor environmentally sensitive areas.
- Drones will also allow Cargill to more quickly and accurately detect burning and illegal forest clearing.
- As drones and sensors become more advanced they can be used by Cargill and other agricultural companies to make more important decisions pertaining to sustainability.
- Companies producing drones
- Agricultural companies
- Consumers of the agricultural companies products
- Inhabitants of the countries where the drones are being used
- Other companies follow Cargill’s lead and use drones to monitor and eliminate deforestation
- As drones and sensors become more advanced Cargill and other companies can use them to inform other decisions beneficial to their sustainability efforts
- As mentioned in an earlier post, drones can and are being used to inform all sorts of decisions by people, governments, and companies. Continue to find innovative ways to use them that are beneficial to society and to sustainability.