Forest fires have adverse effects on a wide range of environmental, social, and economic assets and are 46% above the 10 year average so far in 2016 in the US.
- Most of the time forest fires are discovered too late because they have already spread.
- Apart from prevention, early detection is the most effective way to minimize casualties and damages.
- DIMAP-FactorLink, which under the name of SISVIA Vigilancia y Seguimiento Ambiental jointly commercialize projects for the environmental protection, have developed and integrated a forest fires detection system using the products of Libelium.
- The covered area is about 210 hectares in the North Spain region, comprising the Communities of Asturias and Galicia.
- The aim was to provide to different organizations of an environmental monitoring infrastructure, with capability to have alert management and to deliver early warning alarms.
- The system has 3 main parts, the wireless sensor network, the communications network, and the reception center.
- Residents of areas that are in danger of having forest fires
- Fire fighters
- The companies form partnerships with governments and install the systems to monitor forest fires.
- People are trained to use the technology.
- These sensors and systems can be used in cities as well.