“‘SlingShot’: Segway Inventor Says End of Clean Water Is Near—So He Built a Solution”
1)Sustainability Problem – Clean drinking water is becoming more and more scarce on Earth.
2) – More than 3.5 million people die every year from water-related diseases, and almost 900 million don’t have access to a safe water supply.
– The Slingshot is a “vapor compression distiller” that uses solar energy to boil, distill and vaporize the bad gunk and turn it into clear and clean drinking water. It was created by inventor Dean Kamen and his inventing company, DEKA Research and Development
– Each Slingshot can purify 1000 liters of water per day, which can essentially support the water needs of 100 people. Plus it only uses a small amount of electricity.
– Slingshot is expensive to produce so Kamen he realized he must partner with companies that can distribute Slingshots globally.
3)Organizational Stakeholders – DEKA Research and Development, Consumers, Private companies used for public-private partnership
– Continue research to drive costs down. Third world countries will not be able to afford Slingshots at current cost.
– Find key areas that are in most need of clean water without access to it. Target these places and determine whether Slingshot would be a viable solution for them.
– Create public-private partnerships in these areas in order to set up Slingshots for the people to use.