Providing stable and clean energy in urban environment has been a great challenge for energy experts. This issue amplified by magnitudes during hot summers and cold winters when cities demand energy the most for cooling and heating. Due to highly uniformed life pattern of urban populations, energy demand usually peaks during noon when electricity-depend devices at office space are fully operating. During peak hours, fully-loaded grid also works less efficiently in delivering electricity. In order to alleviate burden of the grid during peak hours, utility companies have been imposing a surcharge per kWh but the issue remains far from resolved.
- IceBank by CALMAC is a Thermal Energy Storage (TES) works as a rechargeable battery for a building’s air-conditioning system.
- During night time and off-peak hours when electricity is cheaper and cleaner, water that contains 25% ethylene or propylene glycol is cooled by a chiller.
- The chilled solution then circulates inside the tank, which is essentially a water tank. to freeze 95% of the water uniformly. Fully charge the tank takes from 6 to 12 hours, depending on the size.
- During the day-time peak hours, the glycol solution circulates through the storage tank deliver energy to the building, augmenting or offsetting electric chiller cooling.
- A fan blows air over the coils to deliver cooling or heating to the occupant spaces just like traditional air-conditioning but without consuming expansive peak-hour electricity from the grid.
- A similar process would also be accomplished during winter to provide heating.
- Other types of Thermal Energy Storage(TES) also exist in by using phase change materials (PCMs) or chemical reactions to store thermal energy while water being the cheapest option.
- Building Owner
- Energy Manager
- Utility Company
- Systematically access feasibility of installing thermal energy storage in different buildings by architects and engineers.
- Form partnership with utility companies to provide financial incentives for buildings that equip with thermal energy storage.
- Work with building owners to determine the best TES option and start installation.