Food waste is both a critical environmental issue and an economic challenge.
Some keys facts to consider:
- $218 billion is spent annually in the US to grow, process, transport, and dispose 52 million tons of food that is never eaten!
- Food waste consumes 21% of all freshwater.
- Spoiler Alert is a software company founded by two MIT Sloan graduates to help organizations manage and track unsold inventory.
- Spoiler Alert’s online management platform creates secondary markets to sell remaining inventory to discount buyers or connect with/donate to NGOs.
- It allows companies to generate new revenue and tax benefits, as well as minimize waste costs by reducing food surplus.
- Food businesses
- Civil society impacted by GHG emissions and climate change
- Local government
- Waste management facilities
- Organizations such as farms, food businesses and NGOs must acquire and install the technology.
- Integrate or sync the technology with existing inventory management systems.
- Train employees on the use of the software.
- Increase awareness of the tool: the success of the secondary marketplaces depend on scale.