1) Sustainability Problem: Animal agriculture accounts for 30% of all land use on the planet and one-third of the world’s fresh water, contributing to approximately 24% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
2) In order to address this problem there are two new trends using technology to address this problem, meatless alternatives and Clean Meat. This article highlights 7 meat-free startups that are creating plant-based meat that mimic the taste, texture, and experience of meat, and dairy products, without the ecological footprint associated with traditional animal agriculture.
- The Beyond Burger contains more more iron and protein than a beef burger with less saturated fat and none of the cholesterol, hormones or antibiotics. Beyond Meat already has products in Whole Foods and Safeway stores around the country.
- The Impossible Burger is unique because of a protein called heme, which gives the patty the color and flavor of meat, enabling the burger to “bleed” like meat. The burger is made from wheat and potato proteins and copies the mouthfeel of beef fat with coconut oil.
- Clean Meat, or cultured meat, is created by taking a small sample of the desired animal cells and replicating them in a culture outside of the animal. This creates a clean meat, meat without the antibiotics and waste contamination. Clean Meat allows consumers to still eat meat without the environmental degradation typically associated with animal agriculture. It is a safer, cleaner, more environmentally friendly way to enjoy meat.
- Animal agriculture farms
- Produce farms that support animal agriculture by supplying feedstock
- Restaurants, grocery stores, meat buyers
- Raise public awareness and acceptance of these alternative meats to increase adoption of the products into everyday consumption. This can be done through advertisements of the products and its many benefits (environmental, human and animal health), but widespread adoption will only be possible if consumers try and like the products so scaling up product options and availability is key.
- Companies such as Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat are already selling their products so the next step will be scaling up, and in the case of Clean Meat, reducing prices. Prices have already been dropping for Memphis Meats, one of the companies selling clean meat. Ir order to scale up these alternative meat companies will need to engage stakeholders (meat buyers – restaurants, grocery stores, etc.) in order to get their products into stores and restaurants.
- Obtain FDA approval for necessary products so that the public has faith in the safety of what they are eating. The Impossible Burger is currently attempting this process.