1) Sustainability Problem:
Persistent inefficiency as drivers seeking parking can not be matched with available supply.
However, ICT-based systems connecting users, vehicles (V2X) and infrastructure can increase transportation system efficiency. In this particular case, employing the automated parking sensors on vehicles traversing the city is an innovative way to use the fleet to collect real-time data about available spaces. This obviates the need for parking detection hardware on street lamps or embedded in the pavement.
2) Technology Summary:
Article: Work together, park faster with community-based parking
Tags: #smart parking
3) Organizational stakeholders
- automotive manufacturers
- IoT sensor manufacturers
- ICT regulators
- privacy advocates
4) Steps in deploying this technology
- identify lowest cost, highest performance sensor equipment
- mandate lidar & camera technology inclusion for all new vehicles
- establish privacy/cyber requirements to allow new data streams to be fully leveraged
- develop easy, highly usable UX/UI for drivers to combat learning curve and slow adoption issues