The sustainability problem: Water Sustainability.
One of the modern technologies that can help in the addressing of water sustainability problem is nanotechnology. According to a report by the World Health Organizations over 1.6 million people die each year due to lack of clean and safe drinking water. The nanotechnology removes microbes, bacteria, and other matter from water meant for human use particularly drinking by use of composite nanoparticles that emit silver ions which destroy the water contaminants. An interesting thing is that this technology is highly scalable in terms of cost, with the cost of getting purified water by this technology going for as low as only $2.5.
- Water filter composed of a grainy mix of nanoparticles
- Composite nanomaterials
- Nanoparticles oxidized
- Release a continuous stream of silver ions – kill bacteria
- Other composite materials remove arsenic, pesticides, lead and other heavy metals from the water
- Communities – especially those communities in rural areas
- Material manufacturers
- Utility companies
- Educate people in the rural area about safe drinking water.
- Partner with NGOs and governments to reach communities
- Acquiring the nanotechnology equipment for water purification
- Partner with governments and utility company for financing this projects