Problem: Recycling bins are often confusing for users, and items are frequently discarded in the wrong receptacles.
Solution: A smart recycling bin that uses camera technology and AI algorithms to recognize objects and notify which receptacle to discard them in.
- Cambridge Consultants is a British company that has developed a recycling bin with computer vision built in.
- The bin’s camera identifies the material and the proper receptacle lights up to indicate where to discard the item.
- The product can register users to encourage proper recycling and link the behavior to a rewards program developed by the bin’s sponsor or owner.
- The bin can also collect data on the items being recycled to gain insight on consumer habits or to track a retailer’s sustainability goals.
- retailers with sustainability goals
- municipalities with public spaces
- commercial property owners
Next 3 steps:
- continue to improve the algorithm that identifies items to be recycled
- market the product to retailers, building management firms, and city agencies
- analyze data collected to provide metrics that can support case for improved recycling with the product