Sustainability Problem: Waste
Over 30% of the global food supply ends up in landfill. According to the United Nations Food and agriculture organization, each person wastes approximately 95-115kg of food per year in Europe and North America.
- EVO Conversion Systems X JM Green use black soldier fly larvae to turn food and organic wastes into animal feed and organic fertilizer.
- Sorted and crushed food and organic waste is mixed into containers with fly larvae, where the larvae consume and process the waste.
- Larvae are extracted from the residuals, sterilized, washed, and packaged for sale as high-protein animal or fish feed.
- Residuals are quite similar to compost and serve as fertilizer for gardens and agricultural crops.
- The technology converts 100 tons of organic or food waste into 20 tons of larvae and 40 tons of fertilizer.
- Organizations and individuals producing food waste
- Public and private composting companies or organizations
- Garbage disposal companies
- Local governments and municipalities
- Livestock farmers
- Home improvement stores selling composts and fertilizers
- Farmers and agriculture organizations
- Partner with public and private composting or waste companies or organizations to implement the technology at existing facilities
- Work with home improvement stores, agriculture organizations, and farmers to educate and market the residual product for compost and fertilizer purposes
- Educate livestock farmers and aquaculturists about larvae as an alternative feed source
- Article: http://www.globalopportunityexplorer.org/solutions/using-larvae-to-convert-food-waste-into-animal-feed http://www.globalopportunityexplorer.org/solutions/using-larvae-to-convert-food-waste-into-animal-feed
- Company website: http://www.evoconsys.com/
- Supporting article: http://www.fao.org/save-food/resources/keyfindings/en/
Comment on: Smart Recycling Bin
- The smart recycling bin can educate the consumer and encourage the correct recycling of products in the home or in places without smart recycling bins. This will help to increase the overall recycling capture rate.