Sustainability Problem: Waste
Summary of Article:
- ACT label is a label that informs consumers about the environmental impact of the product it is placed on.
- The article, “First-ever Environmental Impact Factor Label Opens New Doors for Life Science Industry,” discussed this new label in relation to the Life Science Industry as a way to understand the impact of different lab products.
- Lab are historically wasteful discarding over 10 billion pounds of plastic. Other waste streams include hazardous waste and gloves.
- This label can help labs to reduce their environmental impact while still being able to perform their studies.
- The label is being audited by Sustainability Made Simple and follows a broader trend of the chemical industry being more transparent.
Steps to Deployment
- Find additional industrial leaders, like Thermo Fisher Scientific, MilliporeSigma, Eppendorf, and Proirclave, who will committee to using the label
- Work with companies to evaluate their environmental impact and create label
- Begin marketing to laboratories who are already looking for ways to reduce their waste
Comment on “Smart Recycling Bin”
- Use data to change products that are being used in a business so that they can be more easily recycled and user friendly.