Sustainability Issue : Waste
Problem: Most traditional packaging material are polymer based which cannot be recycled. Polystyrene takes thousands of years to decompose, contributing to the global waste problem.
Solution: Innovative mushroom based materials.
How its made?
- Agricultural waste such as corn husks is cleaned.
- Mycelium is added, and the mixture is left for a few days
- Mycelium grows fibres as it reaches out to digest the agricultural waste.
- Mixture is broken up into loose particles.
- Particles are put into shaped mould for a few days. Mycelium grows and forms a solid shape.
- Solid shape is removed and dried to stop growth and prevent production of mushrooms or spores.
- Mycellium biodegrades in a few weeks by simply throwing it out in the backyard.
- It is fireproof and water proof
- You can grow it yourself and mould it in to any shape required.
- It has applications beyond packaging, from lamps, furniture and even shoe soles.
Current clients : Dell, Ikea,
- Analyze resource availability to scale technology and/or partner with agricultural companies for raw materials
- Contact business educating them of the benefits
- Scale up technology to commercialization