BIOMETRIC GUN LOCK

Sustainability Issues

As the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution grants people the right to keep and bear Arms, 40% of the American households own at least one gun for protection. However, these legally obtained firearms are often used by unauthorized users to commit crimes after they are stolen and lost. Statistically, people who kill other people with guns in America acquire only 3% of their guns at gun stores while the other 97% are obtained through other means. Thus, preventing unauthorized use of firearms become critically important to protect not just our families but other innocent people from gun violence.

Technology: Biometric Gun Lock 

  • Sentinl, a Detroit-based startup is designing a biometric gun lock called Identilock. Attaching to a gun’s trigger, it unlocks only when the owner applies a fingerprint.
  • The size, weight and functionality of IDENTILOCK won’t inhibit common storage and staging methods of firearms.
  • IDENTILOCK provides quick access to working firearms in a crisis scenario when the authorized user put his or her fingertips to the biometric sensor, just like unlocking your phone.
  • IDENTILOCK prevents the use and discharge of the firearm by unintended and unauthorized users.

Stakeholders 

  • Gun owners
  • National Rifle Association (NRA)
  • Firearm manufacturers and dealers
  • Legislative bodies at federal and state level

Deployment 

  • Identify compatibility and feasibility of installing the biometric gun to majority of handguns in the U.S.
  • Launched a pilot program with local law enforcement to test the prototype
  • Gain legislative support from federal and state level for gun lock related products
  • Sell them at firearm dealers as a optional but recommended part

 

Source:

https://getidentilock.com

https://www.wired.com/2014/05/sentinl-gun-lock/

UNI: MH3730

Advertisements

One thought on “BIOMETRIC GUN LOCK

  1. With all the current gun violence in America, every little technology to prevent deaths from gun violence is welcome and necessary. Since we cannot seem to get rid of guns or restrict the NRA, this is a great first step to controlling who has access to guns.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s