Sustainability Problem: sustainable and affordable urban home construction
As the world is becoming more urbanized, there is a growing need for more affordable and environmentally responsible housing. Constructing homes on urban infills is often costly, time consuming and brings unwanted disturbance to the surrounding communities.
Sustainable Technology: prefabricated houses
Plant Prefab manufactures custom and single/multifamily homes that are high-quality, healthy, customized and durable. With faster built time, less cost, more reliability, less disruptions and wastes, it provides great potentials to address the challenges of urban home construction.
- The company provides low cost homes in half the time and with less waste than traditional site-based contractors. Modules are built in assembly lines just like those in an ship or plane building factory, which can be more efficient than building on-site. It is also cost effective as the factories are not located in an expensive labor market and the company uses full-time staff rather than sub contractors.
- The company is the first prefabricated home factory in the nation dedicated to sustainable construction, materials, processes, and operations. It also uses materials that minimize or eliminate off-gassing and to avoid toxics.
- The technology and processes are commercially ready as the company’s first home is the first certified LEED Platinum in the nation and they built the first multi-family project certified LEED Platinum in northern California.
Organizational Stakeholders that Will Use the Technology:
- Developers and architects
- Individual home owners
- City planners
First 3 Steps in Deploying the Technology:
- Target marketing to developers in the urban in-fill market in constrained areas for cities like New York and San Fransisco.
- Showcase company’s certified LEED homes on homebuilder’s magazines.
- Build awareness and knowledge of the company among architect communities through workshops of the software and design process.
Plant Prefab raises $3 million from Obvious Ventures for durable, sustainable homes
High-end, Sustainable, Prefab Homes are Becoming a Big Business
Comment on other blogpost: Ocean Cleanup