Sustainability Problem: Waste
Summary of Technology
- As commerce becomes more digital, packaging and shipping waste is also increasing. RePack is a new way to ship and return items. The packaging is renewable and can be used repeatedly.
- If the customer does not need to return what they bought, they can just put the package back in the mail and it will be returned to RePack.
- When checking out, customers are prompted with the choice to use the different packings. The customers are incentivized to return the packaging to RePack through a discount. The company has created a coalition of companies where once returned they can use the discount at all the different stores.
- They have found that customers spend more than 30% at the store. It also helps companies reduce their environmental impact and become more circular.
- The article, “Looking for a Circular Packaging Solution? Meet RePack,” points out this new technology can be beneficial for both the customers and the business.
- RePack Company
- Retail Companies
- Shipping Companies
Steps for further expansion (expand into the US)
- Create partnership with US Companies who are sustainable in design
- Establish network of companies for incentives
- Roll out program to customers based in the US
Comment on “HY4 to Change the Way We Travel”
- They are hoping to be able to fly between San Francisco and New York next year to show off the technology.