1) Sustainability Problem: Livestock contribute greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere in the form of methane as a natural bi-product of digestion.
2) Technology: Memphis Meats Lab Grown Meat
- Memphis Meats has developed lab synthesized chicken, beef and duck as an alternative to meats butchered from livestock.
- Cells are cultivated with a blend of sugar, amino acids, fats and water, using optimal cells selected by scientists.
- Meats are grown over three to six week time frames, making the process much more efficient than raising livestock.
- Lab synthesized meats bypass the slaughter house, making the process more palatable to consumers who are concerned with animal welfare.
- “Clean Meat” create 96% less greenhouse gas emissions, require 45% less energy, utilize 99% less land and consume 96% less water use than conventional livestock.
3) Organizational Stakeholders:
- Grocery Stores
- Select optimal cells for different types of meat
- Select growth medium for each type of cell
- Grow meats over three to six weeks
- Educate consumers on the benefits of “clean meat” and develop marketing strategy
- Roll out distribution of “clean meats” to stores and restautants
Shieber, Jonathan. Billionaires and big ag are joining venture investors to fund lab-grown meat. August 23, 2017. Tech Crunch. Web. Accessed November 9, 2017. https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/27/view-raises-200m-for-their-electrochromic-smart-glass/