Sustainability Problem: Inefficient roads materials, excessive unused non biodegradable plastics .
KWS, a VolkerWessels company, are working on the development of plastic roads, also known as the PlasticRoad. PlasticRoad is being piloted in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Every component of the PlasticRoad is being designed to make its application completely circular, with the goal of using recycled plastic as much as possible.
The roads have 3 unique features that make it last longer and be more useful.
- The roads are modular: It makes the road light and easy to build.
- Hollow Design: The roads are hollow beneath, which allows for any situational flooding to sink in. Its usage also includes water storage, transit of cables and pipes, heating roads, generating energy etc.
- Sustainable: The recycled plastic makes it a circular product, which uses plastic and repurposes it as material for roads.
Their long range objective is: to ensure 100% circularity in plastic use, makes the road 4 times lighter, last 3 times longer and reduce construction time by 70%.
- City government
- Transport department
- Water Authority
- Disaster relief agencies
- Review impact of the new road
- Apply to newer markets and high potential affected areas
- Innovate with more applications
Comments for another post: https://makeasmartcity.com/2017/10/30/cities-get-smart-by-prioritizing-mobility/comment-page-1/#comment-1374