1) Sustainability Problem: Singapore was ranked first among countries with the highest risk of high water stress in 2040, according to the World Resources Institute. Water security is the national priority in Singapore as half of its current water supplies imported from Malaysia.
2) Technological Solutions: Recycled Sewage NEWater is tackling an island nation’s primary challenge along with the desalination and efficient rainwater catch. NEWater created by the country’s public utility board (PUB).
– The $170 million plant can produce 50 million gallons of NEWater a day and will supply the PUB water for 25 years.
-Through a four-step series of barriers and membranes, wastewater is made free of solids, microorganisms, and contaminants resulting in potable water supplies for use by humans and industry.
-NEWater will be able to supply up to 40 percent of Singapore’s total daily water demand, up from 30 percent, with the opening of Singapore’s fifth NEWater plant in Jan 2018.
Afifah Ariffin, “NEWater able to meet 40% of Singapore’s water needs with opening of the fifth plant, 18 Jan 2017
Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/newater-able-to-meet-40-of-singapore-s-water-needs-with-opening–7565374″
#smartcity #watersecurity #recycledwater #sewagewater #health #sustainability #smartwater #BT2443
3) Key stakeholders and their role in the implementation:
– Singapore Government support and encourage private sectors to partner with the PUB and regulate water consumption through price and financing innovations
-Financial Institutions-Financing New NEWater plants
-Educate consumers water system and actual cost of water
– Citizens consume water wisely
4) Steps Deploying Technology:
-Build prosperous environment for the utility companies to use a technology and financial institutions finance utility companies
– Within Public Private People’s Partnership educate each stakeholder how water scarcity could negatively influence whole system (energy, food, and economy)
I recommend other cities facing water challenges should duplicate project (Riyadh, San Diego, Brisbane, etc.)