1) Sustainability Problem:
2) Technology Summary:
Joe Burkel, vice president of digital operations and process improvement at Republic Services, estimates that a one percent reduction in total fleet miles traveled can save more than 631,000 gallons of fuel. The carbon emissions savings from that would be equivalent to removing 1,400 cars from the roads, he says.
3) Organizational stakeholders
- City councils
- Procurement officials in each municipality
- Waste management officials
- Software vendors
4) Steps in deploying this technology
- Establish SOW’s and service contracts with route optimization software vendors
- Establish data integration & data governance protocols for incoming data streams into municipal data warehouse
- Work with drivers unions to get buy-in on relying on new technology for their operations
- Measure and evaluate software effectiveness in mileage reduced and iterate on route tweaks
Note: This software is extensible into all fleet operations, including school buses and all other service operations.