Sustainability issue – energy and renewables
Electricity is the backbone of development. Nevertheless, the current gird is firmly based on fossil fuels. additionally the grid’s design is decades old. If we wish to successfully transition to a cleaner and smarter grid and mitigate climate change we need innovative solutions…
The solution – hydro-micro grid
- LucidEnergy is an American company based in Portland that creates hydro-turbines for municipal water pipes.
- Many cities receive their water from remote and elevated locations. When gravity “powered” water flows towards a city, strong pressure (i.e., water speed) builds up in the pipes – LucidEnergy harnesses this power by installing pipes with an intergrated micro-turbine.
- The system is scalable and can generate between 18kw to 100kw based on the diameter of the pipe system and the flow rate.
- The power generated can be sold to a 3rd party (e.g., a utility company via a P3). Anticipated return over the investment is 10 years.
- The solution has been tested successfully in Portland, Oregon and Riverside, California.
- The company is currently working on the 2nd generation of its LucidPipe turbine design, “which will significantly increase power output, operate across a wider range of pipe sizes and flows and significantly reduce capital cost”.
- Water utilities
- Electric utilities
- Army bases, universities and any entity that owns its own water (pipes) infrastructure
Step 1 – The company should finish developing LucidPipe 2.0
Step 2 – The company should begin partnering with municipalities and key stakeholders – first as pilots then as contracts.
Step 3 – The company should expand its operations, ideally to countries that are undertaking a lot of infrastructure projects (e.g., China and India) and look into the possibility of opening manufacturing facilities there.
Company Website – Link
Link to comment – https://makeasmartcity.com/2017/11/30/desalination-2-0/comment-page-1/#comment-1519