Summary of Problem:
In India, an ongoing water crisis attributed to lack of replenishable water sources, poor government planning, and increased corporate privatization will continue to worsen as the overall population of the country is expected to increase to 1.6 billion by 2050. Industrial processes consume a lot of freshwater resources, especially in industries such as textiles, which only worsens the water shortage issue. As the water crisis worsens in India, drought regulations target industries and manufacturing, as domestic and agriculture freshwater supply are prioritized.
Wastewater As A Resource: Some Learnings From Gujarat, The Logical Indian: Sustainability. https://thelogicalindian.com/environment/wastewater-as-resource-learnings-from-gujarat-28491
- In Surat, groundwater cannot be utilized for industrial purposes, as the proximity to the Arabian Sea causes the groundwater to be too saline for equipment. Therefore, freshwater from the Tapi River must be tapped into. The Tapi River is the same source of freshwater that is relied on for the area’s domestic water supply, which continues to increase in demand as the Surat population grows substantially.
- The Pandesara Industrial Area in Surat, which is an industrial cluster, is very water intensive.
- In a strategic move, the Surat Municipality constructed a treatment facility that effectively diverts treated municipal sewage water to the Pandesara cluster as industrial grade water.
- The Surat Municipality can alleviate some of the freshwater demand from the Tapi River while also profiting from industrial grade water sales to the Pandesara Industrial Area.
- The Pandesara Industrial Area is able to operate while using reused water and avoid drought regulations that could have negatively affected their operations.
- The population of Surat is able to have a more stable source of freshwater without industrial depletion.
- If this system is utilized in municipalities outside of Surat, the first step would be stakeholder engagement and would include the owners of the municipal water system and local industries who will accept the industrial grade water.
- Engineering proposals and specifications must be focused on lowest implementation cost and timeline, overall effectiveness, and social impact.
- Construction and maintenance of the wastewater treatment system and necessary sewer pipe connections.