Andrea Strang / als2380
The meat industry faces many sustainability problems. Animal livestock uses large amounts of land, which has led to deforestation. Additionally, the meat industry is also is a major source of greenhouse gas emissions as methane from livestock and nitrous oxide from fertilizer and manure.
3D Printed Meat: Lab-Based Alternative Could Unite Both Meat Lovers, Vegans–Find Out Why, Tech Times https://www.techtimes.com/articles/260444/20210520/3d-printed-meat-lab-based-alternative-unite-both-lovers-vegans.htm
- 3D printed meat is becoming more commonplace since it began in 2018. The startup, “Eat Just,” has been producing 3D printed meat and has introduced this meant to the Singaporean consumer marketplace. And currently, a restaurant in Tel-Aviv has been offering lab-grown chicken dishes.
- The cell-grown meat is produced from one stem cell from a cow or chicken egg, which is humanely extracted while the is anesthetized. The cell is than lab grown into a tissue, and then a 3D printer will be used to transform the tissue into edible products.
- The challenge will be in convincing consumers to try lab grown meat.
- Livestock Industry
- Restaurants/Grocery Stores
- Further R&D into making 3D printed meat as realistic as possible in both taste and look.
- Public education efforts about the environmental and humanitarian benefits and overall safety of migrating from real meat to 3D printed meat.
- Partner with supermarket chains that are ethically and sustainably minded to gain consumer base and following.