- Sustainability Issue: Energy
Over 60 percent of our electricity comes from fossil fuels that generate greenhouse gases. It is now more important than ever to reduce greenhouse gas emissions that increase air pollution and the the effects of climate change. Renewable energy is one way to do that.
- Sustainability Technology: Wearable technology that produces power using sweat
- Researchers at Tokyo University of Science tested a biofuel cell that uses lactate chemicals in sweat and a specific enzyme to create a chemical reaction and produce power.
- This wearable tech is like a bandage that one can wear alongside an Apple Watch or a Fitbit and it uses the “capillary effect” method to transfer the sweat through the layers and create chemical reactions that transfers energy to the wearer’s wrist device (Apple Watch, Fitbit, etc).
- Currently, the researchers have managed to power an activity meter for 1.5 hours using a drop of artificial sweat with their biofuel cells.
- There is potential for this technology to work with not just smart watches, but other smart devices as well.
- For more information, please see: https://www.euronews.com/green/2021/05/04/is-sweat-the-new-form-of-renewable-energy-we-ve-all-been-waiting-for
- Researchers at Tokyo University of Science
- Smart devices companies such as Apple and Fitbit and their designated team
- Other investors of this technology
- People wearing the technology
4. Steps in deploying the technology:
- Procure more funding for continued research and testing
- Team up with potential companies and test with upcoming product models
- Gauge investors and create a marketing strategy