- Problem – Energy and Health
During the hot summer days, traditional windows allow in a lot of heat, radiation, and glare, causing the room temperature to increase. The consequent energy use for cooling increases drastically. Minimizing sunlight is not a solution, since it is believed that sunlight triggers the release of serotonin, which is a mood boosting natural chemical. It is increasingly popular for homes and offices to adopt floor to ceiling windows to maximize sunlight, but with it the HVAC energy consumption increases.
2. Technology – View’s Immersive Experience with Smart Windows
- 825 Third Avenue in NYC is the first building to incorporate smart windows
- The smart windows increase natural light, improve human health, and reduce energy consumption by blocking heat and glare
- The windows are also transparent, digital screens with touch displays that enable communications.
- It uses AI to automatically adjust in response to the sun, increasing access to natural light and decreasing glare.
- Building owners and developers – the installing of smart windows can potentially increase rent and attract quality tenants.
- Individuals and corporations renting in the building – experience lower energy consumption and increase in work efficiency through the use of smart windows
- Construction companies – installing smart windows is a much more complicated process than traditional windows
- Designers and architects – they can now incorporate this into the blueprint
- Maintenance crew – smart windows would require more maintenance and cleaning.
- Consider the use of View’s smart windows by creating financial models to measure the overall costs and benefits
- The design/architecture team must incorporate the technology in the design and collaborate with electricians to plan the wiring
- Begin installation/construction